Man Sets Himself and Apartment On Fire While Trying to Kill Bedbugs
A man accidentally set himself and his apartment on fire while trying to kill bedbugs, resulting in massive damage and the displacement of multiple residents on Section 8 assistance.
The unidentified 30-year-old Detroit man sprayed rubbing alcohol on his couch and body January 3 to kill the bedbugs. At around 4:30 a.m., he lit a cigarette and also tried to burn one of the bugs. The alcohol-soaked chair caught fire, and his body and apartment went up in flames.
"He was melting," said Johanahn Larosa, another resident at the apartment complex. "I was scared. He was screaming."
The burned man was taken to the hospital, where he is now recovering from severe burns. His current condition is unknown.
The blaze affected 4 other units in the apartment complex, while 2 dozen other apartments suffered severe water damage.
The complex's management says it is restoring 4 of 10 units the city inspector ruled uninhabitable and will clean the others as soon as possible. Management also says they are working with the Red Cross to find temporary housing for displaced tenants.
Residents claim the complex is infested with bedbugs, and multiple complaints on the issue had been filed in the past.
Detroit is the most bedbug-riddled city in the United States, followed by Philadelphia, Cleveland, and Los Angeles, according to Terminix.